Re: fields again

Subject: Re: fields again
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 02:56:20 CDT

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> Yes! This would be great. I spent last night looking over Luke's List
> patch in detail. It is pretty badly broken for the lack of formating
> information inside fields. It does not appear possible to set font sizes
> within fields as it currently stands. Having a group that encompasses both
> a field and the surrounding text would solve this problem nicely. The
> group could encompass just the field and we could set the font attributes
> (font type, size, boldness etc) to the field that way or from the text
> itself.

I just realized it would be possible to work around this by looking at the
next and previous runs. The list label font attributes would be in order
of precedence:

1. The same as the following run if it exists.
2. The same as the previous run if it exists.
3. Otherwise the default for a field.

This was the list lalbel starts out as the same size as the previous
paragraph but changes to size of text contained in the list.

I think it makes sense to enable font attributes for fields in general
though. List fields are a special case handled with this logic.

Luke also wanted the list labels to be in unicode to pick out specifc
symbols for bullets. One thing I haven't been able to understand is how
the massive unicode fontsets will be distributed. They appear to be too
big to be distributed with abiword and we can't rely on their presence by
default on many platfroms. For example stripped down linux workstations or
webpads in English speaking countries would not need the massive unicode
fontsets and would not want the extra memory for un-needed features.

I don't want to leave the impression I'm against CKJ or obscure language
support. I think it would fantasic to have a potential user base in excess
of 1 billion people! I just don't understand how we solve this basic
problem. Do we have a specifc Chinese Linux-Abiword build for example?

I don't think we need unicode for bulleted lists. We can use the "standard
symbols" font and get different size bullets via the font size.

Cheers

Martin