Re: CVS access

Subject: Re: CVS access
From: James Montgomerie (jamie@montgomerie.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 14:17:26 CDT

"Martin Sevior" wrote:
> Subject: Re: CVS access
> Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 03:21:04 +0100
>

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>

> > As an initial step toward implementing the Bi-Directional support,
> > would like to add the FriBiDi sources to the official tree. Can I
do
> > that via the anonymous CVS access, or if not, what do I need to do
> > to get a different type of access?
> >

> Generally one sends a patch against the current source tree to
> patches@abisource.com AND to abiword-dev@abisource.com
>
> I've found the best way to generate patches is to use the command
>
> diff -Naur --exclude="CVS" --exclude="Linux*" abi new-abi >
> my_new_feature.patch
>
> where "abi" is the current abi source tree and "new_abi" is your new
> source tree with your new feature added.
>
> This technique always works but wastes disk space. I believe there
is
> magic cvs command sequence that correctly does the diff against the
> current tree but I have yet to discover it. "cvs -diff" does not
include
> new files in the diff it produces.

The CVS man page is rather maze-like, isn't it? There's reference
(sort-of-faq)on CVS at http://www.sourcegear.com/CVS/Docs/ref.

It suggests to me that 'cding' to the abi directory you've been working
in then doing a 'cvs -diff -N' will generate a diff file for the entire
tree, including and removed of added files. This eliminates the need
for a spare 'clean' copy of the source tree (you might want to have one
for reference though).

You might want to try a 'cvs -diff -N -c 3 -p' for more readable patches
(is there an AbiSource policy on a prefered diff format?)

Jamie.

P.S. I haven't tested any of this, because I've never had to, so if it
doesn't work, it's not my fault :-)

P.P.S. How about, perhaps for a future POW, a 'developers faq' having
things in it like references to the formatting guidelines, how to do
diffs, a guide to the source tree etc. in it? I'd certainly find it
useful.

P.P.P.S. Don't worry, I am still working on the Word exporting POW, I've
just had little spare time lately (ironic, considering I'm on holiday
from University at the moment...)