Re: PATCH (4): Insert Symbol again.

Subject: Re: PATCH (4): Insert Symbol again.
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 14:23:35 CDT

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Robert Sievers wrote:

> I only have one major concern. What is our plan for keeping equivalent
> functionality on Linux vs. Windows? As Shaw and I prepare for AbiWord
> 0.7.9 within the next week or two, I need to make sure we don't release
> anything with such a huge feature mis-match. In the past, AbiWord releases
> have always had the same functionality regardless of OS, and I don't want
> to break this tradition. Also, on this particular dialog, I am guessing
> the amount of shared code will be much less then usual.

I sort of have a problem with this policy. While it would be ideal for all
of the platforms to have equivalent functionality, I don't think the
solution is "punish" other platforms by limiting their functionality.

I think everyone appreciates the importance of the cross-platform
approach, but a Linux or Windows programmer ultimately just cares about
using the feature on their platform. If they have to wait for somone on
some other platform to implement their bit of platform-specific code
before it goes in a release, then I'm afraid that will frustrate
contributors.

If the symbol dialog is ready to go in the tree, it should be in the
release. If you don't want to list it as a new feature in 0.7.9 unless
it's supported cross-platform, I think that's fine. The unix versions can
simply be the experimental test-bed for the insert symbol dialog.

Justin