To 0.7.9 or to not 0.7.9 (was Re: PATCH (4): Insert Symbol again.)

Subject: To 0.7.9 or to not 0.7.9 (was Re: PATCH (4): Insert Symbol again.)
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 20:34:22 CDT

At 02:23 PM 4/10/00 -0500, Justin Bradford wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Robert Sievers wrote:
>
>> I only have one major concern. What is our plan for keeping equivalent
>> functionality on Linux vs. Windows? As Shaw and I prepare for AbiWord
>> 0.7.9 within the next week or two, I need to make sure we don't release
>> anything with such a huge feature mis-match. In the past, AbiWord releases
>> have always had the same functionality regardless of OS, and I don't want
>> to break this tradition. Also, on this particular dialog, I am guessing
>> the amount of shared code will be much less then usual.
>
>I sort of have a problem with this policy. While it would be ideal for all
>of the platforms to have equivalent functionality, I don't think the
>solution is "punish" other platforms by limiting their functionality.
>
>I think everyone appreciates the importance of the cross-platform
>approach, but a Linux or Windows programmer ultimately just cares about
>using the feature on their platform. If they have to wait for somone on
>some other platform to implement their bit of platform-specific code
>before it goes in a release, then I'm afraid that will frustrate
>contributors.

I seem to be outnumbered. There are three ways to go here.

1. Have timely updates to other platforms allowing contributions to
quickly move in and keep cross-platform functionality.

2. Cut builds with some new functionality on one system, but not another.

3. Time the cutting of builds to make sure #2 doesn't happen.

In the past, Paul went above and beyond the call of duty to execute on #1.
This kept the topic from ever surfacing in the first place, and so we never
had to choose between #2 and #3. I think everyone can agree that the
optimal solution here is for someone to step forward and build on Martin's
patch to get Insert Symbol into the Windows build as well.

Failing that, we do have a very real decision to make. Never before in the
history of AbiWord has there been such a large discrepancy. Should we
proceed forward with Insert Symbol on Linux only, make no mistake that we
are setting a new precedent. This may be the right thing to do, but if so,
we shouldn't make the decision lightly. It's hard to turn back once we
start down this road.

Ultimately, this is a meritocracy, and Martin gets a big say. If I were a
programmer, I could end the discussion with some well placed code. Since I
cannot, my job is to shine the spotlight. If it is right to release
without a Windows equivalent, so be it. I submit, however, that we
shouldn't be cavalier about it.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist