SIGSEGV

Subject: SIGSEGV
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 13:59:08 CDT

I have been working on the BiDi support and have most of the basic
functionality implemented and working (displaying BiDi text, moving
the carret, selecting and editing text, mouse coordinance
translation, etc.). However, I am getting a SIGSEGV in the ispell
part of the AbiWord code. The error terminates the programme
immediately when run alone, but does not necessarily happen when
it is loaded via debugger. It arises in aproximately the same place,
but the call to the ispell function where it happens cannot be
backtraced, it leads to some non-sensical place. This suggests to
me a stack overflow problem. Could anyone tell me how to increase
the stack size for an elf executable? I would really like to make a
patch for the BiDi to get some feedback on it, but I do not want to let
it out before I get this resolved.

with regards

Tomas Frydrych

P.S.
(I have been quite conscious not to waste memory in the BiDi
implementation, and so if I am right about this being stack problem,
there is probably only a very small gap between the stack and the
heap in the current debugging version of AbiWord, and it is likely
that the same problem will show up as other bits of code are added.)