Re: [Fwd: Re: Abiword/KWord cooperation - fonts fonts fonts]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Abiword/KWord cooperation - fonts fonts fonts]
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 09:25:29 CDT

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Eric W. Sink wrote:

> Shaw has posted very specific instructions in the past, so I am sure
> they are in the mailing list archive. I can't find the writeup I'm
> thinking of, but this one has some info:

> AbiWord cannot use TrueType fonts or Type3 fonts or bitmap fonts or
> Hershey fonts or whatever else might be lying around. So far,
> it's Type1 only.

Yes. That's right. To register another font with abiword you need to put
your Type 1 fonts into the abiword fonts directory, generate the *.pfa
from the *.afm (I used the fonts howto to find out how to do this :-) and
then register the font in fonts.dir within the directory. Abiword requires
normal, bold, italic and bold-italic versions of all fonts. If you don't
have these just direct the fonts.dir descriptor to the same font.
"Standard Symbols" does this as there are no bold, italic or bold-italic
symbols from adobe.

If this is all done right, upon start up abi will pick up your new Type 1
font.

Good Luck. Sorry for the poor description. I don't know where the rpm puts
the abi fonts directory.

Martin