Re: UNIX & Fonts -- the big view

Subject: Re: UNIX & Fonts -- the big view
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 15:21:06 CDT

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Stefan Rieken wrote:

> Additionally, Leonard Rosenthol wrote about OpenType. I off course
> wonder: does Open mean "Open"? Or do we get this legal status thingy
> like in FreeType?

I looked up a bit of info on OpenType, and it appears to be a more complex
format that is backwards compatible with both Type1 and TrueType. Of
course, that means it inherits the patent issues associated with TrueType.

The FreeType project is working on a new autohinter, which, I believe,
circumvents the patent problems with TrueType. I'm not sure, by any means,
but that's what I gather from various comments about it.

Justin