Re: Responsability (Was: autoconf at last)

Subject: Re: Responsability (Was: autoconf at last)
From: Goran Thyni (goran@kirra.net)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 12:22:23 CDT

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 08:34:31AM -0400, Thomas Fletcher wrote:
> Now I hope that the autoconf that you have built is
> flexible enough to be used for other platforms outside
> of the unix tree.

How would I know until people try it?
It is build wth GNU autoconf/automake and should run
all unix-like systems and CygWin.

linux,bsd,solaris etc
and qnx, beos, macos x, cygwin

don't know about:
macos 9, borland/ms IDEs

the goal of ease cross-platform maintainence and development.
Until we have a stable autoconf build system we have to
maintain the old system, but the befits are much greater
then a temporary extra work, IMHO.

> If we were to really be living by the Tinderbox rules,
> no one of the platforms would be able to have _any_
> new features put in until we were green across the
> board. This is the reason we have Tinderbox and the
> reason we have a mailing list, and people who have
> write access should take this commitment to keeping the
> build clean very seriously (this isn't to accuse anyone
> of not taking it seriously ... just a reminder to us all).

<strong opinions ahead>
... and stall the development into eternity.

Breakage is *a good thing*.
No progress = no breakage

If this a the methology which should be used my short essay
on advogato had even more truth to it then I thought when I
wrote it.

* Let tinderbox go red, fix your platform to green.
* When it is time for a release slow down new features
  and concentrate on clean-up/bug fixing.
* Release it
* Let's go feature crazy again, tinderbox go red.

CVS-code should not have to be release quality code
between code freezes. CVS code is for developers only.
</strong opinions ahead>

regards,
Göran