Re: Are you working with the StarOffice/OpenOffice ppl on fileformat?

Subject: Re: Are you working with the StarOffice/OpenOffice ppl on fileformat?
From: Jeff Schmidt (jschmid@uakron.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 13:08:16 CDT

sam th wrote:

> 2) Will they work with us on developing this format?
> I sincerely hope they will work with us, and with KWord, and with everyone
> else, to develop quality, iteroperable, formats. I think it would be the
> smart thing to do. I think it would benifit everyone in the long run.
> But I'm not holding my breath.

  I hope so, and think that is their intention; since they've GPL'ed
StarOffice/OpenOffice, they really have nothing to gain, that I can see, from
being proprietary with the file format. I would really love to see this happen,
personally. If enough office-productivity app makers (hope you could get Corel
to join in such an effort) where to help develop such a dtd, and they all
implemented it, I think that would put a lot of pressure on MS to support it
(especially in light of their anti-trust problem ;-). If MS also supported it
(fully, but knowing them they'd implement it half-assed like CSS in IE5), we'd
finally have the ability of people to use whatever word-processor they liked
best, not what everyone else is using =)

> I have just subscribetd to the openoffice.org mail list, so we will se
> what turns up. I have hopes, but not strong ones.

  Well, I suppose that's all I can ask. If my message helps to be the seed to
promoting communication between you and them ( and maybe in the future the
KOffice/Applix/etc people), then I'll be very happy. =)

Jeff Schmidt

--
"Message sent by jschmid@uakron.edu"