Re: WMF importing

Subject: Re: WMF importing
From: Big Ed (dysan_2000@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 11:51:55 CDT

>From: Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr@lazerware.com>
>To: Johan.Stenfors@firstlinux.net, abiword-dev@abisource.com
>Subject: Re: WMF importing
>Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:59:25 -0400
>
>At 3:24 AM -0700 8/4/00, Johan Stenfors wrote:
>>It would not hurt to be able to import wmf into abiword, since there
>>are a lot of clipart available in that format, and also it would
>>make importing ms-word documents more compatible.
>
> It's on the list of things, though it hasn't been very high
>up there since we really need to do more on the SVG side before we
>even worry about tackling the conversion issues.

That brings a question that I'm curious about. Currently, what is the
native gfx format for pics? Sorry if that's been mentioned in the latest
threads, but I missed about 300 msgs due to travel.

>>This does not seam to be very hard to implement. I dont have time
>>for this, so I want to pass the tips that there is sourcecode
>>available for a wmf2svg converter. You can find links at:
>>
>>http://www.blackdirt.com/graphics/svg/
>>
> The only problem with the BlackDirt product is that it's in
>Java - otherwise it's pretty nice ;). We'd be better off working
>from Caolan's WMF library (ie. the same guy who did the original work
>on wv, our Word importer).

I guess we should ask first if there is a current standard lib for reading
in WMF's currently. If Gnome already has something for that, then it could
some some time. Where is Caolan's WMF lib? And aren't WMF's actually
vector-based?

Ed