Re: New List Dialog Ideas (LONG!)

Subject: Re: New List Dialog Ideas (LONG!)
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 10:16:34 CDT

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Thomas Fletcher wrote:
<tons snipped>

OK you've convinced me on a number of points. Unless people make arguments
to stop me I will start implementing...

1. Pressing the list button if the cursor is on the line after a list will
give you the next item in the list.

2. Two returns in a row will stop the list and give you a blank line.

3. Pressing backspace after a "list label"-TAB combination deletes both
the TAB and list label and stops the list.

4. A start sub-list button.

5. No "stop list" in the dialog and I'll work on implementing a dialog
along your suggestions.
The dialog I came up with is both ugly and not user friendly. Your
suggestions are certainly better than what I had.

I'm convinced on these points at least. In any case reverse engineering
the Word UI is often the best thing to do. It's what >100 million people
have come to expect in Word Processor. There is nothing to be gained by
confusing them without a good reason.

I'm not sure about the "outline" list method though.

However before I do any of this I've got to fix some basic infrastructure
in the list code. Paul found 6 crash bugs with what appeared to be very
little effort.

Feel free to implement the new List dialog on QNX first. Be sure to
make it as xp as possible :-)

Cheers!

Martin