Re: Wishing to help in programming

Subject: Re: Wishing to help in programming
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 07:33:33 CDT

HI James,
        Send "small" jpeg files as attachments to the list. ANything less
than 20K is no problem.

Putting in new icons and functions associated with them is rather involved
but not difficult. It's fussy work to change all the files that need
changing.

To start you need to put your *.xpm file in the

src/wp/ap/xp/ToolBarIcons

directory.

Then in the src/wp/ap/xp directory

You need to examine

ap_Toolbar_ActionSet.cpp
ap_Toolbar_Functions.cpp
ap_Toolbar_Icons.cpp
ap_Toolbar_LabelSet.cpp
ap_Toolbar_Layouts.cpp

and

ap_Toolbar_Functions.h
ap_Toolbar_Icons_All.h
ap_Toolbar_Id.h
ap_Toolbar_Layouts_All.h
ap_TB_Layouts_FileEditOps.h
ap_TB_Layouts_FormatOps.h
ap_TB_Layouts_extra.h
ap_TB_LabelSet_en-US.h

In ap_Toolbar_id.h you need to define an id symbol to be associated with
the action you wish to implement.

In ap_Toolbar_ActionSet.cpp you define what function in ap_EditMethods.cpp
gets called when your icon symbol in al_Toolbar_Id.h is invoked along with
the Type of button (Toggle, pushbutton, or combo) your icon is, as well an
"update" mask that defines when the toolbar function that
determines if the button changes state (ie a
togglebutton pops in or out) and finally the function invoked to determine
if the the button should change state.

The functions that determine if the toolbar should change state are
defined in ap_Toolbar_Functions.cpp.

Where the button goes in which toolbar are defined in

ap_TB_Layouts_FileEditOps.h
ap_TB_Layouts_FormatOps.h
ap_TB_Layouts_Extra.h

The text, and xpm associated with button are initially defined in

ap_TB_LabelSet_en-US.h

then localized to all the

ap_TB_LabelSet_*-*.h

I think that's all. As I said it is fussy work and if you don't everything
right, first off abi won't compile, secondly your button won't work.

Finally the use or lack thereof of buttons is controversial here. Some
people like lots of buttons (me) others perfer not many buttons at all.

Personally I think there is plenty of room on the extras toolbar so we
might as populate with useful buttons. Spelling is an obvious one. I think
there might be a pretty good icon already in the toobarIcons directory
for spell. I believe Joaquin got it from Tigert so if it is yours had
better be pretty cool :-)

Cheers

Martin