Re: Gnome parts in AbiWord (was Re: GNOME Foundation/Gnome Status)

Subject: Re: Gnome parts in AbiWord (was Re: GNOME Foundation/Gnome Status)
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 12:34:27 CDT

Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> Bonobo and gnome-print make a lot of sense. I don't see,
>however, any immediate benefits from using canvas and gdk-pixbuf - at
>least not without starting to enter x-platform problems.
Canvas support would be cool, IMO. Supporting the canvas would most likely
take care of at least some of the redraw and scrolling problems Abiword on
Unix has.

> It's a MUCH larger problem than that - you not only need to
>carry that actual data, BUT also information about the "link", and
>that information is NOT going to go XP. Even if we go the data to
>go across (and hooked up OLE support on Wintel), there are issues
>about how to get embedded Gnumeric data to work with Excel and then
>back again.
I'm aware of this, but didn't feel the need for a dissortation in my
previous email.

> I don't see the connection here. You could use gdk-pixbuf to
>load in GIF/TIFF/etc, but you'd want/need to convert it to PNG since
>that's the native image format of AbiWord. Then there's the issue
>that other platforms wouldn't get those features.
I thought that GDK-pixbuf only rendered to GdkDrawables and not to an
arbitrary backend, though, and wasn't meant for image conversion. I'll have
to investigate into this more.

> HOWEVER, since gdk-pixbuf sits on top of glib which we've
>already ported, it should be trivial to just incorporate gdk-pixbuf
>into our tree and use it on all platforms (though we'd probably also
>have to carry libTIFF, libJPEG, etc.). Also, gdk-pixbuf uses some
>parts of libart, but I've already ported it to Windows (and Mac OS)
>and sent changes to Raph.
Don't forget about the gdk dependency, and the fact that my glib port was
*bare bones*. Sure, glib, gdk and gtk work on windows and mac and beos. So
does libart. And so will gdk-pixbuf when gtk-2.0 comes out with it as a
dependency. So do we make libart, the *real* glib, gdk, and gdk-pixbuf
required XP? Then why don't we do what the gimp does and build with Gtk on
every platform. That'd save some development time. Whoops, there goes the
Abi framework.

Dom