Re: commit -- Fixed makefiles for cygwin 1.1.3+

Subject: Re: commit -- Fixed makefiles for cygwin 1.1.3+
From: Glen Ruedinger (gruedinger@vaiautomation.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 16:55:51 CDT

Has anyone noticed how long it takes to do a build under WIN32 when no
files have been modified?
On my Celeron 450 it takes 3-4 minutes. I noticed that for each
directory sed is being called multiple times. I hacked my makefiles
(abi_defs.mk) to define constants for things like OS_NAME, OS_RELEASE
and
?ABI_ESCAPE_QUOTES? and got my make time down to 55 seconds.

I am NOT a makefile expert, but couldn't these things be defined in the
high level make file (once) and passed down to the lower level make
files ?

It would sure speed up builds when only one or two files have changed.