RE: Commit: Re: notes on smart quote implementation

Subject: RE: Commit: Re: notes on smart quote implementation
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 10:54:40 CDT

ms> Bill, Is there a way this cryptic line
ms>
ms> RemapGlyphsTable="‘<’>“«”»"
ms>
ms> Can be set by default for Unix users?

Well, yeah, with the right #ifdef in the XP header file that sets the
defaults for preference values. But I'm not sure what the goal of
that would be. I just intended that setting to show developers that
smart quotes is actually working. I think using those values for
Church secretaries would be confusing, though I can't say for sure
that it would be more or less confusing than having curly quotes look
like straight quotes on the screen.

Can you say more? (Repeat after me: "The real fix is to straighten
out the font situation on Unix." :-)