Re: How should I fix crash during error dialogs with GTK?

Subject: Re: How should I fix crash during error dialogs with GTK?
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 04:39:20 CDT

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Peter Haight wrote:

> I had the fonts setup wrong so the 'Symbol' font was missing from X. This
> means that when I chose 'Insert->Symbol', AbiWord would try and launch a
> dialog informing me that the font was missing. This would cause an ASSERT
> which would stop my debug build.

The easiest way to fix this is to update "abidistfiles" from CVS. The next
thing someone has to do is to stop asserts in the gno debug build
immediately crashing abi. It's one reason I mostly do unix builds do.

> The problem is that the dialog box runs 'gtk_main' which will handle any
> pending signals (events). In this case, we were in the middle of
> constructing the Insert Symbol dialog and it was not fully ready to handle
> signals, but its signals get called. This hits some well placed ASSERTS.

Actually it doesn't. The insert symbol dialog is modeless and does not
block with gtk_main(). Are you using the CVS build?

Cheers

Martin