Psion Word import filter

Subject: Psion Word import filter
From: Frodo Looijaard (frodol@dds.nl)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 15:49:11 CST

Hi folks,

I am currently writing an import filter for Psion 5/5MX (and probably
others of the same family) Word files. It uses my own psiconv library,
which means that it is a relatively small job: all parsing is done by
psiconv, I just need to reshuffle the data structures.

The current status is that it recognizes Psion Word files both by
extension and through their header. All text is nicely put into
paragraphs, but no layout is done yet.

I have defined a new Makefile variable ABI_OPT_PSICONV, which you can
set if you want the psiconv support. I really think some sort of
autoconf support would be better though (the number of variables to
set by hand can quickly become quite large in this way).

You need libpsiconv, which is GPL'ed and can be found at
http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol/psiconv . Libpsiconv is a C library,
and a parallel project of mine. It is known to compile and operate
correctly on Linux and SUN platforms, and I really see no reason
why you could not compile it on other platforms (I suppose you
would need Cygwin on Windows because of autoconf and some bash shell
script). The current version on the website (0.6.2) will shortly
be superseded by a new version with some bugs resolved that I am
finding at the moment ;-)

In what stage of the project are you interested in diffs?

Good luck,
  Frodo

--
Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl>  PGP key and more: http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol