Re: Bidirectional support

Subject: Re: Bidirectional support
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 12:45:30 CST

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:49:50AM -0500, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to have BiDi in our tree. However, since it will adversely
> affect performance greatly overall (not that our performance now is in the
> "Speedy Gonzalez" range) and only a minority of users will use it, I say
> that BiDi should either be:
>
> 1) A Compile time option
> 2) Distributed as a patch to our sources

I think distributiing anything as a patch is a very bad idea. Then it
beocomes very hard to keep in sync with th rest of the tree. I don't
have a problem with it as an option, althouhg it would obviously be
preferable to have it so that it was fast enough to be always
compiled. And if we include it as an option, we have to consider what
non-bidi abiword will do when faced with bidi text. Not accepting it
is not an ok solution. I think the best option is rendering it left
to right, and warning the user.

                                sam th
                                sam@uchicago.edu
                                http://www.abisource.com/~sam