Re: General performance [was: drawing performance]

Subject: Re: General performance [was: drawing performance]
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 20:32:50 CST

Mike,

Do you think that it would be prudent to follow this comment's suggestion in
pp_Property.cpp:

        /*
                TODO we can make this faster later by storing all the property names
                in alphabetical order and doing a binary search.
        */

Alternatively, we might be able to store these strings in a hashtable for an
O(1) lookup penalty, which is usually pretty good ;) Of course, we should
probably make platform-specific string libraries too, since stricmp seems to
be slowing us down significantly. Neither would be too hard to do. We can
always "fall back" on our existing string libs if a replacement isn't
currently defined.

Could you profile loading a document and see if there are any similar
hold-ups?

Thanks,
Dom