Re: XML_Char

Subject: Re: XML_Char
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 21:10:38 CST

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 04:02:15AM +0100, Mike Nordell wrote:
> I just got to think of something interesting. Usually, XML_Char is typedef'd
> to be a plain "char", but I take it it's used to be able to use wchar_t in
> the future?

As quoted in the mail I just sent, XML_Char is defined as char. UTF-8
is used to store multibyte chars. And no, it won't be changed, since
it's a libxml/expat typedef and not abi's.

Interesting that you should mention that it's typedeffed to a char,
since expat and libxml2 disagree upon this. While expat defines it as
a char, libxml2 defines it as an unsigned char. This causes a
multitude of warnings:

ev_UnixToolbar.cpp:245: warning: passing `const char *' as argument 2
of `UT_XML_stricmp(const xmlChar *, const xmlChar *)' changes signedness

ev_UnixToolbar.cpp:247: warning: passing `const char *' as argument 2
of `UT_XML_stricmp(const xmlChar *, const xmlChar *)' changes signedness
... etc.

Any ideas?