Performance Matters

Subject: Performance Matters
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 08:06:20 CST

All,

  Well I'm _really_ happy that someone (or many people as
it turns out) are starting to look at the performance issues
related to AbiWord. I could have sworn that I posted a
commentary on 1) Document load times and 2) Excessive work
that AbiWord does rendering the document, a long time ago.
It looks like I didn't though. I would encourage anyone to
just take their debugger and "walk" from main to the document
display point. Doing this is a very educational (though
somewhat time consuming) experience. Even at this level
without profiling you can see that that are some really
significant delays. The fact that we iterate over every
character in the document at least three time doesn't help
things I don't think.

  I'll hang out on irc.gnome.org #abiword this afternoon
if people want to discuss stuff.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf