Re: commit -- Working STL vector support

Subject: Re: commit -- Working STL vector support
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 18:10:33 CST

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> Scroll down for new profiling.
>
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 02:19:44PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > I just got it working. I'm about to profile it and I'll post a
> > followup. I'll post a patch that people on non-Unix platforms can test
> > before we commit it.
>
> STL support now works. It is not enabled by default. To test it,=20
> please change #define ABI_OPT_STL 0 to a 1. With good results from=20
> others, I will make this the default for the platforms that can handle
> it.

STL! OK there is definitely something that I'm not understanding
here. Why is the vector so slow ... Where is the vector slow?
Just blindly replacing it with the STL version doesn't make
_any_ sense to me. I'd like to know what in particular is
slowing us down and then fix that. I'm quite happy right now that
I don't have any dependancy on libstc++ for QNX ... adding STL
will break that for QNX at least.

If I were to hazard a guess at where things are going away, I'd
be willing to bet that the grow() function could be stramlined
and do a smarter re-allocation of memory.

Thomas