Re: commit -- Font tune-up

Subject: Re: commit -- Font tune-up
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 20:26:06 CST

Martin,

A stack trace might be useful here. I can't reproduce any of your problems.
Scrolling isn't *that* much better. Import and export are though. Getting
scrolling working to 100% usability probably won't happen without a major
backend change. It *has* gotten better for me though not totally ideal (I'm
comparing a 0.7.12 rpm vs. CVS debug).

One way to get scrolling (and a lot of other fmt things) working faster is
to cache fonts in our P-specific GR_Graphics classes. We should do this in
findFont() and check for identical fonts in setFont (). I'll look into this
tonight.

There are a lot of places where code and design should be optimized. This is
only the tip of the iceberg. One obvious place to start is the af/util/xp
directory. It's amazing how much a little ineffeciency here affects the app
as a whole.

Tell your wife that hopefully sensible scrolling will be coming soon.

Dom