Re: commit -- Fix #780

Subject: Re: commit -- Fix #780
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 18:46:23 CST

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 04:40:12PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> Fix bug #780. We're better, but still not perfect.

Erm, actually this doesn't really fixes it, but it fixes the bigger
issue that was pointed out in the bug: dd didn't delete the trailing
newline.

The issue that the bug was filed about was that typing Test Line in a
fresh document, then pressing ddpp would produce Test LineTest Line.
This is a policy difference between VI and AbiWord. Vi ALWAYS requires
a newline at the end of the document, so when you only have one line,
you still have a newline after it and the dd picks up that newline.
AbiWord does not have this policy, so pressing dd on the only line in
the document will not pick up a trailing newline. I think this is the
correct behavior based on the way abiword is currently designed, and the
way a word processor works. Besides, this special-case bug only applied
to a one-line document, and there's an easy workaround (creating a blank
line after that would be the newline to be copied).

Perhaps I should have set the bug to WONTFIX or POSTPONED.

Comments?