improving the string library

Subject: improving the string library
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 12:14:24 CST

I spent some time today examining how much faster the string
functions would be if written in assembler and hand optimised. I
have come up with the following:

strcmp: 4% improvement
strlen: 6%
strstr: 85%
UT_UCS_strcmp: 350%
UT_UCS_strlen: 250%
UT_UCS_strstr: 44%

The Linux system strcmp and strlen (which AbiUses) have been
written in asm, but not fully optimised. strstr is, I think, written in C,
and so are the rest; the 200-300% speed up on the C
implemantions is in my experience not unusual.

I will have a go at some of the other functions as well when I have
the time; I think this might be worth the effort.
(I use NASM, so there would be no difficulties with compilation of
the asm sources on pretty much any x86 machine; obviously non-
x86 users could not take any advantage of this, but then they
would be no worse off either.)

Tomas