Re: International support in Win98

Subject: Re: International support in Win98
From: Lukas Pietsch (pietsch@mail.uni-freiburg.de)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 16:25:57 CST

> Are you really sure that AW uses that font? Is the proper font
name is stored
> in .abw file? Can you paste the same characters from the Word
to AW without
> loss of font information? --

Yes of course - it would seem very strange to a Windows user if
you couldn't. Usually under windows any app is expected to work
with any font that happens to be in the system. And since
clipboard copying of formatted text is always done through RTF
(afaik) there's again no reason why it shouldn't be possible.

But, in some sense, yes, what I reported is just what you say: AW
does work with these fonts, but it doesn't work *correctly* with
them. And I'm trying hard to think of any reason why this could
possibly be so...

> Conversion of unicode character to latex equivalent is
performed by
> a clone of the wv/text.c:wvConvertUnicodeToLaTeX
> (I will make AW directly use a modified version of that
function soon, so
> there won't be a need to cut-n-paste that function, so if you
wish to
> contribute, modify only wvConvertUnicodeToLaTeX).
>
> It would be trivial to add support for latin characters with
unusual accented
> marks (like encircled chars) and similar unicode symbols that
can be
> easily created using TeX constructs for combining symbols. Also
I don't think
> anybody will object to adding Omega (or what's the correct name
for that
> project) exporter - it will be trivial to add - see how RTF/RTF
for old apps
> exporter are implemented.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I can do these things
myself. I'm not a programmer. Maybe I'll give it a try. But I'll
gladly go on buggering you guys about these things if I may. :-)

(By the way: "Omega" is the component equivalent to "TeX";
"Lambda" is the component equivalent to "LaTeX".)

Lukas