Re: Win98 i18n Unicode fonts trouble possibly solved.

Subject: Re: Win98 i18n Unicode fonts trouble possibly solved.
From: Saint-Denis (stdenisg@cedep.net)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 13:00:50 CST

Symbol characters meaning what? Characters that are supposed
to be displayed using a font such as Symbol or Zapf Dingbats?
Characters whose value is in the Symbol range for Unicode? What?

Symbol characters i am talking about are the characters available throught
the Insert Symbol dialog. Theses characters where showing as box both in
that dialog an in document after insertion.

>The code for
>the NT portion was used also for Win9x prior to the patch. At the time, I
>consulted MS knowledge base and found that Unicode support for Win9x is
only
>*partial by design*. MS offer a work around with the WideCharToMultiByte
>function.

Right, WCToMB is only for use for passing to routines that do
NOT have valid W (wide) versions. DrawTextW is supported in 9x as
we've seen.

The code page is CP_ACP which mean the running system code page and the
flags are NULL.

>Commenting out to leave only the NT portion, and editing the Unicode1.abw
>assign the Code2000 font, I was able to see the unicode characters.

Great!
I should have added that the font conversion did not go without any harm and
bruises. Selecting a character and changing it's font to Code2000 raised an
assertion that I ignored :
File: pp_AttrProp.cpp
Line: 454
Expression: UT_XML_stricmp(n, PT_PROPS_ATTRIBUTE_NAME)!=0

There is also a problem with character width not being correctly evaluated.
Function setCharWidthsOfRange in file gr_Win32CharWidths.cpp need some
adjustment to cope with Unicode on win9x.

I just saw Mike Nordell commit for the af/gr/win/gr_Win32Graphics.* files, I
will download and try them.

Gilles