Re: makewrapper.sh patch

Subject: Re: makewrapper.sh patch
From: Kevin Vajk (kvajk@ricochet.net)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 19:59:40 CST

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> Adding all sundirs with fonts it can find is a useless thing unless AW
> is modified to look for all fonts in all subdirs while booting.

You see through my ruse. That's another change I was interested in
advocating soon... :)

> Making
> AW look for all subdirs for fonts is also a very bad idea - different subdirs
> can provide fonts for different encodings but the same name (e.g. Helvetica) -
> and since AW doesn't display font's encoding, user will see a 5 fonts named
> "Helvetica" in font combobox (and will have to guess which one corresponds to
> some encoding).

Yeah, but abiword certainly won't come this way by default.

I agree this is a problem, but it seems to me like an inherent X-window
system limitation. If the user places a font in the abiword fonts directory,
it was done intentionally so that they could use the font with abiword.

> SO we should make shell script computing all "permutations" of
> locale-specific subdirectory name.

But why we are only making fonts available if our locale matches?

For my own use, I eventually want to use abiword in my native language locale
(english) but still be able to type in other scripts (thai in particular).

> As for not removing fonts from font path - I also told how to detect
> whether AW is running 20 minutes ago.
>
> So someone should write script that will generate all permutations of
> locale-specific subdir name, add means for detecting whether AW is running and
> update all 4 scripts that generate AbiWord script.

Ugh. When I get a minute, I'll play around with detecting abiword already
running. The problem of deleting the font path while abiword is running needs
to be solved, since we all agree it's a bug. My idea is that if xlsclients
is available, we do the right thing, but if xlsclients is not available, we
play it safe and leave the fonts in the path. Sound correct?

The other stuff (automatically adding subdirectories) clearly needs more
discussion. Which is great; I'm far better at discussing than I am at
actually writing anything. :)

- Kevin Vajk
  <kvajk@ricochet.net>