Re: multi-lingual support under Unix

Subject: Re: multi-lingual support under Unix
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 11:06:41 CST

> > What we will need is some kind of keyboard switching mechanism
> > that would allow to translate keyboard input into appropriate
> > unicode values based on a language/keyboard the user chooses.
>
> This is the responsibility of the OS/user-environment as I see it. It is not
> something every application should implement by itself (just think of the
> bloat).

That is fine if the OS provides what you need, but as far as I can
see Linux does not in this respect (there is a keyboard switching
utility in KDE, and a very nice one, but I do not seem to be able to
make it produce characters above 0xFF). If there is an elegant and
intuitive way to switch keyboards under Linux ouwith AW, then of
course there is no need to build anything into Abi.

Tomas