Re: patch -- bug 10

Subject: Re: patch -- bug 10
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 02:25:45 CST

> If you delete the word, the word and the space following it are
> deleted.

I don't like this aspect of Word. When I select a word and delete it, it
not only deletes the word but also deletes a space. I find it very
frustrating that Word tried to "guess" what I am trying to do and do it
for me. If I wanted to delete the space, I would have selected it too. I
think that it is not a very user-friendly idea to delete charachters other
than what is selected - would a church secratary expect a word processor
to delete other than what is selected when delete is pressed? Another
thing I find very disturbing about Word is that it is nearly impossible to
select a portion of a word. Hello Microsoft --- if I try to select
something, logic would sugest that I want to select it, not the word it is
part of.

What I am trying to say is that I do not think that Microsoft makes a good
role model when it comes to word procesor development. Their products in
the early ninties had all the features I would ever need and did not have
all of the annonying "features" of modern incarnations of Word. Please
don't mess up as bad as MS did! At least, can you delay the inclusion of a
paper clip for now? ;-)

My idea of an ideal word processor is Word 5.1 for Macintosh, a product
which is very obsolete by now. I would encourage any AbiSource developers
to try to get a look at this version and see what one user wishes modern
word processors could be like.

Currently I am pretty happy with AbiWord though, and I am looking forward
to watching it reach a mature state. I set my father up with it just after
h stopped using Word 5.1 and I'd be happy to relay and feedback he gives
me to this list. I know that AbiWord is in a pre-alpha state, but
unfortunately Linux users do not have many alternatives, and AbiWord looks
like the best open-source word processor in existance. I even put up with
it doing interactive spelling checking until the preferences dialog was
implemented ;-).

Aaron Lehmann