RE: to support CJK(Chinese Japanese Korea)

Subject: RE: to support CJK(Chinese Japanese Korea)
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 10:21:09 CST

> 1. Txt import and export should be modified to support 16bit languages. Txt
> file mixer 8bit english character or 16bit CJK characters. Convert 8bit or
> 16bit characters to unicode in import. Convert unicode to 8bit or 16bit
> characters in export.

This is one part that will need the UT_iconv functions yet to be written. If its possible to merge the .txt and .utf8 import/export that would be great. It could then be added with Unicode2 support and some way to select an convertion table.

The difference between 8 bit and 16 bit could be sniffed and possibly utf8 too.

> These two work is very simple. Others such as spell check, print, import MS
> Word should be modified also.

Spell check is a problem. ispell (the base of the spell checker) is very 8-bit (even 7-bit) orientated. If anyone has an example of ispell used for 16bit/multibyte languages, it would be nice for me to get it to study how it's done.

--hb