Re: Liscencing Issue

Subject: Re: Liscencing Issue
From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer (bero@redhat.de)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 04:42:40 CST

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, sam th wrote:

> I don't know if this has already been discussed on the list prior to my
> joining it, but it seems to be rather bad news. The liscence covering
> expat, our XML parser, is the MPL, or Mozilla Public License. The rest of
> the program is covered by the GNU GPL. Sadly, we are legally prohibited
> from linking between these two licenses. To quote the GNU web page:
> "a module covered by the GPL and a module covered by the MPL cannot
> legally be linked together." As it seems likely that Mr Clark won't
> change the terms of his parser, the only real recourse for us is to change
> our license.

Pretty much the same discussion is currently going on on the KDE devel
list (with s/MPL/QPL/g). Their solution is to place KDE packages under the
"GPL with the exception that you may link in QPL code" license. I don't
see how a similar change could hurt.

LLaP
bero

--
The first time Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is when they
start making vacuum cleaners.