Re: Development of Abiword for MacOS X ?

Subject: Re: Development of Abiword for MacOS X ?
From: Jeffrey J Barbose (barbose@howland.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 16:07:50 CST

> If we had an OpenStep version of AbiWord, we could recompile for
>PPC, and it would Just Work. Unfortunately, there is not yet pre-X MacOS
>support for OpenStep (and I don't know if there will be). Barring this,
>given a MacOS Toolbox version (being constructed as we speak) it is a
>relatively simple task to update it to the Carbon API, or "Carbonize" it.
>There is already one Carbon SDK available from Apple, MacOS 9 ships with
>CarbonLib 1.0, and soon the next version of CarbonLib, giving MacOS support
>all the way back to MacOS 8.1, will be available. Personally, I think
>getting the Mac version up at all will be our first task, but from there it
>will be a relatively simple task to get it to run on Carbon for MacOS
>support from 8.1 thru X. One of my main goals here is, particularly, to
>Carbonize AbiWord. I hope this answers any questions.

> Bryan Prusha Wolfram Research, Inc.
> Coding is life. The rest is just 1's and 0's.

i might take this one step further and just make it Carbon-compliant
from the start. As you said, Carbon IS the Mac APIs, minus some of
the very low level stuff.

and the new HLTB stuff would be a neat compromise between using an
application framework and using procedural code.

jeff

"here lies a toppled god, his fall was not a small one.
  we did but build his pedestal, a narrow and a tall one."
		- Frank Herbert
Jeffrey J Barbose, President, HowLand Software

(c) Copyright 2000. All rights reserved. The body of this message may not be reproduced without prior permission except in direct replies via USENET or email.