Re: PATCH: Grand, unified, ANSI-compliant string functions

Subject: Re: PATCH: Grand, unified, ANSI-compliant string functions
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 19:37:40 CST

James Montgomerie wrote:
> As Sam mentioned in "Release Practices", I've been working on patches to
> eliminate non-ANSI string functions from the source tree (even the
> xp-parts). To this end, this patch contains updates to and new parts added
> to the ut_string files:

Committed. The build seems fine for me (under Linux) with these changes,
and since the patch was intended to move towards a more portable set
of string functions, anything that might have broken will probably be
easier to fix than previously (well, I hope).

> P.S. the choice of UT_stricmp over UT_strcasecmp isn't meant to represent my
> views on MS over GNU (the functions names were already in the source, but
> the functions were defined in the platform specific parts).

Personally, I like the name "stricmp" better than "strcasecmp", because
it's shorter, and "i" means "case-insensitive". "case" seems like it should
mean "case-sensitive" instead of the opposite.

--
Shaw Terwilliger