Re: configure

Subject: Re: configure
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 16:08:45 CST

At 03:39 PM 2/8/00 -0600, sam th wrote:
>When you download a new copy of the sources, and type make, it runs some
>sort of configure script. In this, it will initialize all the values in
>the makefiles. Thus, in order to change the options passed to g++, I need
>to redo this process. I understand we don't have a seperate autoconf
>script. Hope this isn't too far out in left field.

Yes, some of the peer libraries (outside the abi tree) do briefly run
configure to generate either headers or makefiles. However, our default
realclean targets don't wipe them out as they should:

  abi/src/Makefile

This is a bug. As a platform-specific workaround, I recently added the
following hack:

  abi/src/config/require/win/Makefile

Note that the realclean target currently doesn't "dive", so you have to be
all the way down in that platform-specific directory for this rule to fire.
We ought to be able to do better than this.

One idea would be to update the top-level makefile to also do something like
the following:

  $(MAKE) ABI_ROOT=$(ABI_ROOT) -C config/require/xp realclean
  $(MAKE) ABI_ROOT=$(ABI_ROOT) -C config/require/$(ABI_NATIVE) realclean

Better solutions for this would be welcome.

Paul