Re: AbiWord on Linux/Alpha

Subject: Re: AbiWord on Linux/Alpha
abnay@altavista.net
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 21:36:33 CST

I hate to stick up like a sore thumb but,
here is what I feel.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, sam th wrote:

> If we could find a way to eliminate just the unused
> variable warnings (which shouldn't be the sign of a
> serious problem, and is almost alway bogus) it would
> make finding the legitamate warnings much easier.

How about just taking out the declarations
of variables not used? Instead of shutting
up the compiler, why can't clean code be
written? I get a bunch of "missing initializer"
warnings for the structures in expat package.
When I asked the author if we could clean up
the code by initializing the structures of
the array with an appropriate value, he replied
that they are just warnings and not to worry. Yes,
but I have seen several places where a warning
eventually leads to subtle bugs particularly when
optimizations are turned on.

I know several of you would be irritated
by what I said above, but it will be nice to
have a cleanly compiling code in the long run.

Just my 0.00002 cents.

Bharadwaj