Re[2]: to support CJK(Chinese Japanese Korea)

Subject: Re[2]: to support CJK(Chinese Japanese Korea)
From: hashao (hashao@telebot.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 06:08:36 CST

Hello Andrew,

Tuesday, February 08, 2000, 2:09:53 AM, you wrote:

AG> On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Henrik Berg wrote:
>> > Hope this is interesting to non-chinese developers.
>>
>> I think it's about increasing the popularity of the product. If I
>> can use some hours to make the current Unicode support go "all the
>> way", that's well worth the work.

This is much needed for CJK support.

>> With Windows98 or newer (or with IE installed) there is a lot of
>> font support. The input method is specific to each Win98/NT flavor
>> (Europe,Middle-east,Asia...), but Win2000 will have them all.

AG> hmm, perhaps the Linux user can eventually use the several TrueType
AG> typefaces provided by Microsoft.

There are sevearl free (beer or speech) truetype fonts for Chinese and
Japanese. I am sure there should be similar things for Korean too.
However, for CJK printing, we will need some CJK PS CID fonts unlease
abiword will add truetype font printing in the future.

>> How is input support in Linux?
>>
AG> Almost non-existent today. (or am i outdated? *grin*)

Well, a little bit outdated, I am afraid. Since X11R5, there are
XIM (X Input Method) protocal to handle CJK input under X Window.
At X11R6, there are standardrized XIM and XOM for better i18n support.
The problem with X Window's Input Method is that a input server
is highly coupled with certain locale. This tight coupling make 'switching
input language on the fly' quite tidious. Owen Tylor of gtk+ team
is working on some new way to provide input service for gtk+
applications. The homepage of the project(pango) can be found at
http://www.pango.org.

The XIM API can be found at chapter 13.5 of "Xlib - C Language X
Interface." for X11R6.
gtk+ has build in support for XIM if a call to gdk_set_locale() is
made before gtk_init(). For gnome, gnome_init() already called
gdk_set_locale() internally.

There are several CJK input server for X window out there.
For Chinese: xcin, chinput
For Japanese: kinput
For Korean: ami
There should be more than the listed.