Re: menus and languages

Subject: Re: menus and languages
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 17:03:05 CST

At 03:45 PM 2/10/00 -0600, sam th wrote:
>Currently, for strings, if one is not defined, we fall
>back to english.

Yep. This is a very handy feature.

>But for menu items, they all have to be defined for all
>the languages we have.

Actually, as Henrik pointed out, untranslated menu and toolbar items
currently fallback to a single hardwired TODO, which is ugly, but it works,
and it helps highlight which translations need to be updated.

It would probably be less user-hostile if the menu and toolbar mechanisms
worked more like the strings mechanism -- falling back to the hardwired
english when lookups for the current translation fail. The spots in the
code where this would need to be done are fairly obvious but it'll take a
little work.

This doesn't sound like a very high-priority task to me, but I thought I'd
mention it in case anyone's been looking for an excuse to learn how the XP
menu code works.

Paul