Tinderbox is alive!

Subject: Tinderbox is alive!
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 19:27:43 CST

After a good bit of hacking around with perl implementations across
various platforms, we've got Tinderbox up and running at
http://www.abisource.com/tinderbox/. Tinderbox is an automated
build reporting system. The point of it all is that the tree
stays buildable across all platforms (so that the page stays
green). If the tree breaks on a given platform, that column goes red,
and Tinderbox does its best to assign blame to he who checked in the
bad code.

The blame isn't always perfect. Right now we have an entry for
a BeOS PPC machine, and it's on fire because of problems with the
MetroWerks compiler on that platform.

If you have CVS commit access to our tree, please use Tinderbox.
Commit your code after you think it will work on platforms, and
check Tinderbox to make sure that it does. It will point you to
Bonsai and LXR if you need to see what broke. Please try not
to break the tree.

Tinderbox is written as a client-server system that communicates
over e-mail. I am in the process of rewriting the clients in
Python (because I can't understand perl, and Python has a very
handy built-in SMTP mailer class, which eliminates the requirement
for Sendmail on each build host). When these scripts are finished,
we'll have the capability of a distributed Tinderbox system, so
people with platforms not in our build farm will be able to report
how changes to our code affect those platforms.

--
Shaw Terwilliger