Re: Options dialog stable?

Subject: Re: Options dialog stable?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 18:21:17 CST

At 12:19 AM 2/23/00 -0700, Logan Hall wrote:
>Hmm.. I didn't think of the shared piece of equiptment case. But in most
cases
>any more arn't the users prefrences saved in some way to their own account?
>Meaning that when you logout and someone else log's in thier prefrences
would be
>put in place by the os.

Yep. IIRC, Jeff took pains to make sure that on any platform which allowed
multiple logins, we save a discrete copy of the .profile in a user-specific
location.

>If the machine is a shared piece of equipment that is
>not multi-user then this could be a needed feature.

Insofar as the trend for most of our supported platforms is to allow
preference multiplexing at the OS level, then there's probably no good
reason to replicate that functionality in our UI.

>The place i see the multiple user preference schemes working the best is for
>people who need to write many types of documents. For instance people who
write
>their papers for english using a certain font and spaceing and other
settings,
>but write their letters and other documents with diffrent settings. They
could
>define diffrent preference schemes so that they just have to switch
schemes to
>get their diffrent settings.
>
>The current way the options are implemented this realy doesn't play a role
(no
>default font, font size, etc. in the preferences), but later on this might
be a
>consideration.

Ick. You don't really want to set all that stuff via the preferences
mechanism, do you? Wouldn't that be a heck of a lot easier to implement via
templates?

Then, the only prefs toggle would be which default template to use.

Paul