Re: FW: Name and address in letters in abiword -> XML

Subject: Re: FW: Name and address in letters in abiword -> XML
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 00:38:33 CST

At 04:03 PM 2/29/00 +1300, Pearless Douglas wrote:
>Basically I am looking to see if a tool like ABIWord can be used to display
>a standard letter template that a user can fill out.
>
>The resulting save .ABW file with it's XML would then be parsed to determine
>the name, address etc.
>
>Is this easy to do or too hard?

I'm not sure I understand the question. AbiWord is a straightforward
WYSIWYG word processor, but it sounds like you may be looking for something
else -- perhaps a forms tool.

The following should all work today:

1. Give people a partial document.
2. Let them fill in the name and address by typing in the document.
3. Have them save the results.
4. Compare the original document to the version they saved.

If they modify the document in ways you expect, it should be parsable. If
they don't, it won't.

Paul