Re: Xwindow Input Method

Subject: Re: Xwindow Input Method
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 18:38:55 CST

At 05:34 PM 2/29/00 +0800, hj wrote:
>Only GtkText and GtkEntry widget support XIM in GTK. We can only input
>Chinese in GtkText and GtkEntry. We must let toplevel window support XIM.

OK. So, since the GTK sources are available, you should be able to figure
out how those two widgets interact with the XIM code. I haven't studied any
of that code, but I'm presuming that somehow similar logic could be invoked
for toplevel GTK windows as well.

If so, then the big question would be whether this additional functionality
should be added to the AbiWord sources or to the GTK sources. This one's
definitely worth figuring out ahead of time, because if the code's going
into GTK, it should use their very characteristic C-style APIs and calling
conventions.

I'll certainly defer to the GTK maintainers on that issue. If they want the
code, it should definitely go there. Otherwise, we'd be happy to have it in
our tree.

Paul

PS: Havoc, are you still lurking on this list? Sounds like this one's up
your alley. ;-)