Re: Made and installed and it doesn't work

Subject: Re: Made and installed and it doesn't work
From: Kevin Vajk (kvajk@ricochet.net)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 23:29:52 CST

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Pierre Abbat wrote:

> [phma@neofelis abi-0.7.8]$ abiword
> bash: /usr/X11R6/bin/abiword: No such file or directory
> [phma@neofelis abi-0.7.8]$ vdir /usr/X11R6/bin/abiword
> vdir: /usr/X11R6/bin/abiword: No such file or directory
> [phma@neofelis abi-0.7.8]$ which abiword
> /usr/local/bin/abiword

> What am I missing? (The install step I did as root in another konsole.)

Log out and log back in again.

bash is being silly. You see, rather than search your $PATH every
time you type a command, it maintains a table of where it found the
command "abiword" last time (before you uninstalled it). This is
intended to be for performance. In your case, it's just not being
smart about updating its internal table when things change.

- Kevin Vajk
  <kvajk@ricochet.net>