Re: Text boxes in Linux

Subject: Re: Text boxes in Linux
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 06:41:54 CST

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Ted Lemon wrote:

> Does the redraw code do optimizations like scrolling the bitmap rather
> than redrawing, and like not redrawing text that doesn't need
> redrawing? My experience with X is that if you are clever in
> avoiding doing extra work, you get pretty smashing performance
> (assuming you have a fast X server).

Yes it does. If you take a look at the graphics code you'll
see that there is a clip and a blit function for developers
to implement. Depending on how you call the xap draw functions
then you will get the desired clipping, but I've just recently
realized that some of the xap drawing code needs to be a
little more tweaked to avoid some additional unrequired calls
into the platform specific graphics layer to avoid drawing
areas that aren't needed.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf