Re: i18n of abiword -- charset mapping

Subject: Re: i18n of abiword -- charset mapping
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 17:37:52 CST

> general hint
> ------------
> Insofar as we're likely to need a bunch of to/from conversions between
> Unicode and various charsets or codepages, it seems like we may need a new
> set of efficient mapping classes which can be used for both purposes. As a
> quick-and-easy XP solution, the usual table-driven macro magic with header
> files ought to work nicely here, so long as we're willing to compile the
> tables into the code.
>
> Since these tables can be quite sizeable, it's probably worth debating the
> proposed approach and APIs on this list before implementing them.

iconv does charset mapping. We can convert input to unicode, and then
later, if the font requires it, convert to some other charset encoding.

This is fairly standard thing, I believe, but many implementations aren't
very good. This is used in wv, and Caolan has his own implementation for
bad OSes. It might make sense to use native iconv/Caolan's backup for this
purpose, rather than creating yet another set of tables.

Of course, there might be other requirements I'm missing, but from my
understanding of the problem, iconv is all we need.

Justin