RE: iconv for the iconv impaired :)

Subject: RE: iconv for the iconv impaired :)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 14:51:21 CST

Henrik,

Here you go (found via freshmeat):

  http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/packages-libiconv.html

I don't have time this weekend for more than a cursory scan of the sources,
but from what I've seen so far, I like this implementation. A *lot*.

It looks like the author has built some tools which automatically generate
table-driven translations from the canonical charts I mentioned on the
unicode.org website. (For example, I've attached the header files which
implement TIS-620 and MacThai support. Note how in the latter case the
tables have been sliced to make them more memory-efficient.)

Henrik, would you be willing to investigate how much makefile hacking it'd
take to get this entire library integrated into the tree and building on
Windows? It looks like this could easily become another peer component,
like libpng and zlib.

For convenience of AbiWord programmers, it might also be nice to also
include a few interlude functions which match up all the relevant datatypes
with those used by libiconv:

  UT_toUCS() takes szCharset & char*, outputs UT_UCSChar*
  UT_fromUCS() takes szCharset & UCSChar*, outputs char*

We might even want several variants of these depending on whether we're
converting:

  - a single character (input methods),
  - a portion of a UT_GrowBuf (from run to spell/draw code),
  - etc.

I haven't thought through all the issues here, but this should be enough to
indicate the general idea.

How does that sound?

Thanks,
Paul