Re: detecting file type by magic number

Subject: Re: detecting file type by magic number
From: Kevin Vajk (kvajk@ricochet.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 03:20:14 CST

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:

> >By the way, moving the "<abiword..." line to the start of
> >the .abw files would make it a lot easier to add an entry to
> >/usr/share/magic so that "file foo.abw" could be made to
> >work as expected on Linux/UNIX. I'd highly recommend doing
> >this, as I think "file" is used by various file managers
> >to determine what application to launch to open the file
> >with.
>
> Agreed. Anyone interested in patching the abiword exporter to see how well
> this works?

Well, it Works For Me (TM).

If you guys go ahead and implement this change for good, and
don't expect to change it, it'll be good to bug the Linux
distributions (and others) about adding an entry to the magic
file. On Linux, all it will need is something like this line:
0 string \<abiword AbiWord document

- Kevin Vajk
  <kvajk@ricochet.net>