Re: detecting file type by magic number

Subject: Re: detecting file type by magic number
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 23:32:31 CST

Sorry, I just reread my own post when it arrived, and it made me sound very
cranky. Guess I need more sleep or something. All I'm trying to say is
that I'd prefer that one person who either:

  - knows what is or isn't valid XML, or
  - has read the XML spec carefully

should be the one to propose and implement a final solution to this
question. On this topic, I know about as little as the next person, so I'll
try not to impose my opinion either. :-)

To be clear. I'd be happy to have a reliable patch which does the Right
Thing for us as an XML file. If that includes a commitment to maintain an
accurate, up-to-date DTD, that'd be wonderful.

I'd also be happy to do nothing and stick with what we've got.

Paul,
too cranky to post any more today