Re: PATCH: fix to fonts.dir to enable symbols to be viewed on X11.

Subject: Re: PATCH: fix to fonts.dir to enable symbols to be viewed on X11.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 13:37:33 CST

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 sterwill@abisource.com wrote:

> Martin Sevior wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what this is going to fix. It seems like it will only
> hide the font from AbiWord's Unix font manager (which selects only
> fonts in the AbiSource registry).

My ignorance shows! On my Redhat 6.1 system Symbol fonts do not show up in
abiword. If I copy in what appears to be an identical font from
/usr/share/fonts called "symbol" into the adiword fonts directory and hand
edit fonts.dir to recognize it, abiword happily displays all the symbols
in that font. After playing around inside the font directory I found that
the minimum change to allow abi to display symbol fonts was to change
"ABISOURCE" to "adobe" in the character set registry field of the
pre-existing symbol font definition in fonts.dir. I also noticed that the
"DINGBATS" fonts also have "adobe" in the character set registry field so
it appears that this has also been implemented for "DINGBATS" (which
display correctly on my redhat 6.1) system. If symbol fonts already
display in your debian system without the change I suggested then I assume
it is something screwy with my set up. I don't know though. All my
diagnostics never showed that abi was doing anything wrong. The only thing
differenet between dingbats and symbol was the "adobe" in the charater set
registry.

This deep level X11 stuff is a total black art to me. I tried something
that worked...

I just looked at the fonts.dir file again. The Symbol fonts are the only
ones shipped with abi that have AbiSource in the character set registry
and they are the only ones that don't work.

 Martin Sevior