Re: rpm makefile patch for Linux/PPC

Subject: Re: rpm makefile patch for Linux/PPC
From: Logan Hall (warrior514@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 14:20:40 CST

Gary Thomas wrote:

> >> These are known inside RPM and could be easily passed to your build/makefiles.
> >> $RPM_SOURCE_DIR - normally /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
> >> $RPM_BUILD_DIR - /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/<package>
> >>
> >> Is this not enough for your build process to go on?
> >>
> > How would I get the values out of rpm though? because we use them before
> > we call rpm.
> >

> Either I don't understand how you're doing this, or perhaps you are using RPM
> incorrectly (not the way it was designed).
>
> You would use these values from the RPM 'spec' file, when building the package.
> They should not be required when simply installing the "binary" package.
>
> Perhaps you can fill me in a little on how you are using RPM to build/install
> AbiWord. Then perhaps I can make more salient comments.

They use it to clean the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES dir of abi stuff and to make the
tar ball.
We create a tarball in the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES dir called
abisuite-<buildversion>.tar so we need to know the rpm source directory. currently
we have a grep / sed combo that grabs it out of the /etc/rpmrc file but the entry we
look for is not corect. rpm uses %{_topdir} for the rpm source directory. We need
to get that value but when we issue a rpm --showrc here are the relevent entrys:

-14: _usr /usr
-14: _usrsrc %{_usr}/src
-14: _topdir %{_usrsrc}/redhat

so we have to find a way to parse this correctly or find a way to get rpm to give it
to us.

any ideas?

--

---- Logan Hall